Tuesday, July 10, 2007

RSS: week 3

I already have a lot of experience with RSS and I really didn't want to create yet another account on another service. I have a MyYahoo page that allows me to install RSS feeds on my main page. I already installed various news sources, a couple of cartoons, and local movie times, local weather and a mapping tool. Since one of the sources mentions using Yahoo as an aggregator instead of BlogLines, I'm going to honor the spirit, if not the letter, of this exercise. For the sake of this exercise I've added the 23 Things feed to MyYahoo page.

This brings me to another issue, the proliferation of sites to manage an online life. Yahoo was already my main site for my personal life online. As mentioned, I have some stuff on my MyYahoo page and it is my email site. I belong to a Yahoo email group (it started out independent but was acquired by Yahoo later). My personal Web site started as Geocities until it was acquired by Yahoo. Now I have a Flickr site (again owned by Yahoo). I did try blogging within my Yahoo site but the editor really sucked. In a way Yahoo was my online aggregator.

But now with these exercises, I'm getting new sites to manage. We're only 3-4 weeks into this and I've got several more new places to keep my stuff than I did before. I thought the virtual world was supposed to make things simpler or better!

I think that as part of a side issue, I'm going to look for ways to integrate as much of this stuff as I can. I've already added an RSS feed from Flickr on MyYahoo. I'm going to see if I can also add this blog to MyYahoo.

No comments: