Wednesday, July 25, 2007

del.icio.us part 2

Still loving this utility and finding more and more features that look like they can be useful, either for personal use or as a library tool (or both).

Before going into some of what I've discovered, having used del.icio.us intensively for the past couple of days, here are a few link management functions I'd like to see added to its capabilities:

* duplicate management - it's easy to import duplicate links by accident (e.g., it treats http://library.ucsc.edu/ and http://library.ucsc.ed/home.html as different links) and I'd like to have some way to look at or search my links to sort this out.

* organizing links - it shows your personal links only sorted newest first. you can see all the links sorted by either newest or most popular and with link rolls it allows you to sort alphabetically by title. but it only let's you see you see your links in one, not too useful way.

* flakiness - I can't be absolutely sure but I feel like I've had to edit some links more than once before I've managed to make them stick; and I'm also under the impression that some bookmarks imported from Firefox never made it; but I could be wrong...and eventually things have made it into place, so no permanent harm

* skanky links - the problem with humanity is people and del.icio.us has a lot of people adding links and some of those people are hateful and add their hateful links to this site. For instance, searching 'jewish' for interesting links, I found "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" tagged as a serious document without any indication of its status as a forgery or its antisemitic nature. I'm wondering whether I can add relevant tags? It seems to require that I add the link to my list in the process. Could I delete it afterwards? Would my added tags go away as a result?

That's it for now... I think I'll add my cool discoveries to my next post

No comments: