Monday, September 10, 2007

#18. Firefox Add-ons and Extensions (week 10)

This is very, very cool. (Yay Open Source! Need I say more?)

I didn't know about the search add-ons and I've added several, in addition to the CRUZCAT module.

I've added a couple of extensions in the past without really knowing I was doing it. Another colleague turned me onto Zotero a couple of months back, I installed it but I haven't ever gotten into it. Maybe there are just too many other toys (er... tools) out there that are easier to get going. Under other circumstances, I might be doing more with Zotero.

I also added the del.icio.us extension as part of starting up with this service. I like the extra buttons it has added to the control bar but I'd like to get rid of the extra "recently bookmarked" bar it added. I can't find settings that would allow me to do remove this.

There is quite a list of add-ons, many with intriguing descriptions, at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1
But I'm loathe to start adding things until if I can't remove them again later.

p.s. Removal turned out to be simple once I found the answer searching the "KnowledgeBase". From the Firefox menubar, Tools > Add-ons. You have a choice of disabling/enabling or uninstalling add-ons from there. Disabling the del.icio.us add-on disables all of it. I haven't figured out how to remove the annoying extra control bar without losing the useful buttons. Oh, well...

No comments: