Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 2.0

I followed the link to the Wikipedia article on the blogosphere. I was particularly interested in looking at some of the aggregators or search systems that I'd seen mentioned and recommended in some of the other blogs. They're not listed, so I'm wondering if there is a better source for this information. Searched Google and found LISZEN by name. (I later found LISZEN and LibDex lower down in our site blog... I thought the link out to Wikipedia was the path we were supposed to follow.)

I tried searching "Jewish" to see what Jewish Studies materials are online - I could really use a JS library blog to support my work. No such luck. The results seem to be random. I either get an entry in a blog where "Jewish" is mentioned in passing or I get to the top of a site with no obvious Jewish content and if I search the site internally I find a single post with the word "Jewish" embedded somewhere, but no significant content. It may be a case of the content just not being there, but it is still frustrating to get so many false leads. Where is the good stuff?

LibDex is a bit of a mystery to me. Why the geographic orientation? This seems counterintuitive in the online world. There were a couple of broken images on the page and trying to find a search box or some subject approach, one of the Links listed took me to a lighting store. Hmmm? And, as long as I'm feeling cranky, why don't these sites say something more about what they are doing?

Finally, using Google's blog search I found a site featuring the Association of Jewish Librarian's 2007 conference. I tracked back to the assocation's main site and found "The Book of Life: a podcast about Jewish people and the books we read." It isn't really a blog though it is featured on blogspot.com, so I may be getting ahead of myself. I'll reserve this for the section on podcasting but it is as close to what I'd been trying to find as I can manage so far.

I found some interesting other sites but no blogs worth reading or revisitng. Maybe it just isn't out there.

No comments: